About this initiative
HEALTH MADE IN GERMANY is the export initiative for the German healthcare industry. It supports international companies and organizations that are interested in establishing contact with potential German partners and suppliers. Set up by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK), the initiative bundles expert market intelligence for easy industry access.
Our support for your business:
We provide information about the German healthcare market by publishing market briefs and in-depth market studies of the German healthcare industry and its different sectors. Our calendar is regularly updated with the latest industry events in Germany and overseas.
Our directories of German companies and research facilities with direct contact details help international businesses to identify contacts in Germany. If you contact us we are happy to introduce you to potential business partners in Germany.
We take part in leading healthcare trade fairs all over the world, organize networking events and enjoy ongoing dialogue and exchange with international health policymakers.
How we work
HEALTH MADE IN GERMANY is the export initiative for the German healthcare industry. One of our main goals is to promote the German healthcare sector through international networking activities for the mutual benefit of international partners and German companies alike. We do this by providing proactive support (including market and regulatory insight), introductory services, and networking platforms including trade events in Germany and abroad. We serve four major industries active in the international medical market: pharmaceuticals, medical technology, medical biotechnology, and digital health care.
HEALTH MADE IN GERMANY also works closely with 16 major German industry associations and is part of the BMWK's MITTELSTAND GLOBAL umbrella program for small and medium-sized enterprises. The initiative is ideally placed to provide access to German healthcare market information and to help overseas businesses identify potential German partners.
The HEALTH MADE IN GERMANY initiative is implemented by Germany Trade & Invest, the economic development agency of the Federal Republic of Germany, on behalf of the BMWK.
Germany’s healthcare market
Germany is one of the world’s most important providers and exporters of healthcare products and services. The country's innovative medical products set international standards for quality, safety and reliability. German manufacturers and service providers in all health and life sciences segments attract overseas customers and partners and deliver leadership in healthcare innovation.
HEALTH MADE IN Germany: Setting global standards
- Germany is the biggest healthcare market in Europe. In 2016, healthcare spending amounted to EUR 353 billion.
- Company turnover generated by medical technologies reached EUR 29.2 billion in 2016 - of which 65 percent originated from export markets.
- Pharmaceuticals is the largest sector within the German healthcare industry. Goods and services worth EUR 69.7 billion were exported in 2015.
- Medical biotechnology is one of the most innovative fields in the German healthcare sector. Industry sector turnover was EUR 3.3 billion in 2015.
- Germany’s mobile health market is predicted to grow by 22 percent in the next years.
- 11.7 percent of all medical technology patent applications in 2015 worldwide were from Germany.
- Pharmaceutical companies spend more than EUR 5 billion per year on R&D in Germany.